Wednesday, September 24, 2008

CHI Picnic - Aug. 2, 2008

While clearing some pictures off of my camera card today, I came across a couple of photos from the CHI picnic held in Portland, Oregon back in August. (A little slow...I know!) I took this picture of Caroleana Smallwood, Becky Hartman and Julie Eagleson as a remembrance of these special ladies who have helped (or are helping) us to make our adoption happen.

Caroleana (left) was the first person I met back in October of 2007 when I went to the CHI office in Troutdale, OR to drop off our initial application forms. Her warm smile and kind personality immediately put me at ease. She's no longer working with CHI, but instead is enjoying being at home with her young son.

Becky (center) was the social worker who did our home study. In spite of some of the initial changes with CHI, we were able to finish the process with her and we appreciated how she made the home study appointments quite painless and even fun! We met with her twice and we were amazed at how great she made us sound in her final report! ;-) We are saddened that it appears we will not be able to do our post-adoption reports with Becky due to the continued changes happening with CHI.

Julie (right) is the Colombia program director for CHI and has been wonderful to work with as well. I met Julie briefly too that first day I stopped in the office and within minutes I remember thinking, "Oh yes, we can work with these people!!" :-) Julie has been available and patient with my continual questions via email; and promptly responsive, I might add. She has been a great encouragement to us as we have proceeded along this uncertain path. Of course, it's the first time for us, but she has been on this journey with many, many families before us. We appreciate how Julie seems to feel the joys and the disappointments just as deeply as we do.

We are grateful to these three ladies for all they have done for us so far to help us along on our adoption journey.

5 comments:

janine said...

Best wishes on your journey! We adopted an 8 1/2 year old girl and her twin brothers (age 2 1/2 at the time) in Feb. 2007. I think it's great that you're adopting older kids!

I know CHI is experiencing a lot of change, but I cannot even tell you how happy we were that they were our agency! We had some "bumps" along the way and they were so helpful and professional and reassuring (especially Julie).

We look forward to following along . . .

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I will add you guys to our blog as well...

Dan and Karen said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. It is always so exciting to follow other families as they are expanded through adoption. Looking forward to hearing of your assignment!

Karen

Christy said...

Same as the other girls...looking forward to following your journey!! :) We are CHIers as well, and love those ladies too. Julie has been the absolute best.
Waiting with you!
Christy

Kimberly said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and I will lift you up in prayer also. I'm amazed at the support through the adoption community, and I look forward to rejoicing with you when you receive a referral.