As of today, "La Familia Smith" is a forever family of four!!
Jeff left early this morning to sign the “Sentencia” (the final decree) in Chiquinquirá saying the kids are ours. When he got back to Bogotá in the afternoon, the kids and I met him at the passport office – well, near it – to have their photos taken and then get their new Colombian passports with their new last names. From there, we went to the doctor to have them checked out and get their documents for the Embassy. Tomorrow morning (Weds) at 9:00 AM, we four go to the Embassy to apply for their visas to come to the US. I believe we pick up their visas on Thursday and it could be that we could fly toward home on Friday!!!! (I say “toward” because we will spend the night in Atlanta and actually get home on Satuday, if everything works out.)
We had another tough night last night. It started out sort of ok – a tickling session and lots of laughing, but of course, when it was time to try to stop things and get them into bed, it turned into a battle. Everyone in tears – everyone saying “I’m sorry” – everyone feeling bad. There was, however, a moment of hope. Andrea went into the bathroom and didn’t come out for a bit, and when we finally got her to come out, she revealed a little bit more about their previous situation. I think she’s really been fearful that we might not really want them, but we told her we wanted to be the “final” parents for them. We asked if she wanted to be in our family and she said yes, and then she helped Felipe with the same question and he also said yes. Until that moment, I think we were both struggling with whether they really wanted this to happen or not.
Again today, during our running around, she was very distant and it was obvious that she was struggling with the reality of all the changes coming her way. We were concerned, but tried to give her a little space as we went through the appointments. She kept saying her name was “Andrea (her birth surname)" – but again, we didn’t push it. Then a short while after we got back here, it was like someone flipped a switch and suddenly she was saying her name was “Andrea Smith”! :-) I think it just took her a little while to process that it really had happened and we didn’t leave them. This evening I asked her “todo bien?” (everything ok?) and she said yes, but also said she was “poco triste” (a little sad) and I told her I understood that (she is leaving a lot behind, after all). She was playing some games on the computer and wanted me to sit right beside her and play too – a definite first. Now, of course, a few minutes ago when I said her time was up and I needed to use the computer she acted mad and unhappy, but I’m hoping it’s just the drama gene in her and it won’t ruin the evening – we’ll see. (I think there’s an Oscar in her future, that’s for sure!!) ;-)
So, it’s official – we are “La Familia Smith” forever now. Pretty amazing to think about! (And my DAUGHTER just came and asked me nicely for some ice cream, so I guess the evening isn’t shot yet, thankfully.) It looks like we have a busy couple of days ahead of us and then we can finally bring our whole family HOME!!! I’m not naïve enough to think that all the hard stuff is behind us, but I hope we can at least get off to a good start.
Thanks so much for praying for us these three weeks. We have needed every one. Please don’t stop yet, and especially pray for the kids the next few days as we finish things up here. For now, I’d better close since we have to get up early and it takes a while to get everyone moving toward bed.
Much love to you all and thanks for your support. Looks like I’ll be seeing you soon. (I’ll let you know for sure when we have our travel rearranged.)
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Praise the Lord! The children are beautiful and so is your family!
Jennie & Jeff - I am so excited I can hardly contain myself - tears just rolled down my cheek. God's grace and mercy is good and abounding. I've been praying and will pray that God's straight path will be known before you. C.Y. soon. Love you, Annette & Jim.
Congratulations! Praying for you as you complete these final, busy days in Colombia. Praying for your children as they continue to adjust to the idea of a forever family. Praying for wisdom for you. And rejoicing and thanking God for your beautiful family!
Congratulations! So happy for you. Wish we were going to be around on Friday so we could try to meet up. But we are headed out tomorrow. Good liuck as you finish up. And safe travels.
Wow! Congratulations--I think that is about the quickest amount of time I have seen a Bogota-stationed family wrap up the process. Good for you guys! I am thrilled that you will be coming home soon and will be able to "settle" things a little. Although new challenges will arise, it is so much easier to normalize things in your own home. Glad to hear Andrea is taking some baby steps (that may be bigger than we realize). It is so hard to imagine the thoughts in their minds and emotions in their hearts. But with your unconditional love and guidance, your children will learn to trust that you are their "forever" family. So happy for you all!
Traci
Good to hear that home is in sight. I will continue to pray for the Smith family. Showing love to the kids can be challenging especially when you have to say "No" to something they want...then they think you don't love them but you know that is not true so be strong in those circumstances.
Naomi & Matt
It is so good to hear that things are starting to go better. I have thought and prayed for you often over the last days. I'm sure it is hard to even imagine the changes (good and bad) that the children have to go through. Blessings to you and your family as begin life as a family.
A fellow traveler on the adoption journey.
Shane
Hello,
Jan from Alaska. I want to reassure these back and forth feelings are the same we went through and still do. It is a little different each time. and always moving in the right direction. I think the kids can be real scared. Some of the unhappy can be just kids stuff. LIke a the computer. We would love to offer to be pen pals with your kids if you think it would be a good idea. Our oldest adopted is 9 and doing so well with her english and spanish. let me know. God Bless you as you head home!
Jan
Dear Jennie and Jeff -
I hope you are adjusting to life with your new family and things are going well for all of you.
I am writing to you because I applied in August 2008 to adopt these very same children -- Juan Felipe and Andrea Johanna -- that you recently welcomed into you home. I met Andrea and Felipe last summer during the KidSave program in Northern California. I recently learned this week that there had been a mix up with the paperwork/communication with ICBF and Andrea and Felipe had been assigned to another family earlier in the year. I did a quick Google search today and your blog popped up. I am still very sad and processing this news that the children I became so attached to will not be part of my family. I'm taking some time to think about my next steps and have to trust that things happen for a reason. Reading your blog gave me some peace. I am extremely comforted and very relieved to know that they are now part of your family. They are truly amazing children and have so much potential. You seem to be very kind, caring people and I know that you will be able to provide them with a loving home. These kids made such a huge impact on my life. I don't know where my adoption journey will take me next but Andrea and Felipe will always have a special place in my heart. Please give them a huge hug and kiss for me.
I also live Oregon -- a few hours from you. I don't want to intrude but if you are able to send me updates every once in a while to let me know how the kids are doing, I'd be eternally grateful. My email address is: lmh_sf@yahoo.com.
Warm regards,
Lisa
lmh_sf@yahoo.com
Hello, Jeff and Jennie,
Andrea and Felipe actually stayed with our family last summer through the Kidsave Summer Miracles program. They are great kids! Please tell them that Alex and Elizabeth say hello and think they're great and that we're very happy for them.
We thought someone else we know was adopting them, so we thought we would be able to stay in touch with the kids and also explain to them that we didn't have the resources to adopt them (it's not that we rejected them - that would be so sad if they had that idea).
We would love to be able to say hello to the kids, and we're also happy to share what know about them with you (like things that helped them adjust to daycamp last year, Felipe loves Mister Bubble, all kinds of things). But if you just want to get on with your lives with them, I understand.
Feel free to contact me any time at ElizSpier@aol.com or 831-332-0130.
Best of luck with some wonderful kids! - Elizabeth
Congratulations!!! This is a little late as we are still adjusting after coming home with Sofia. Hopefully you and the kids are home now and getting settled. Just wanted say how happy we are for you and that we enjoyed meeting you in Bogota. We will continue to pray for your family as you and the kids adjust to being home. May the kids realize all the love you have for them more and more each day. God Bless!
Erin, Paul and Sofia
Hey
I have been thinking about your family so much. I hope all is well.
Jan in Alaska
Please let us know how things are going. How can we pray for you?
Hey Jennie and Jeff! Just checkin' in. Hope all is going well!
Post a Comment