Here are a few photos:
From last Monday when we first met Andrea and Felipe
Ok, that's all for the moment - lunch is just about ready. I'll try to post a bit more later on. Thanks again for all of your prayers and support for us.
Welcome! We created this blog to share the experiences of our adoption journey as we seek to complete our family with two siblings from Colombia (South America). Your prayers & comments are appreciated! :-)
Ok, that's all for the moment - lunch is just about ready. I'll try to post a bit more later on. Thanks again for all of your prayers and support for us.
9 comments:
Great pictures!! The kids are adorable and you are also a beautiful family together!
Our daughter is close in age to yours . . . along with all the changes going on, she is also a "tween" (and there are many issues that go with that alone!). Anyway, I will be praying for you . . . enjoy your time in Colombia, and once you are HOME you will be able to establish your own routine and rules. :)
Jeff and Jennie~
I definitely understand what you are going through. It was so hard to see our kids bonding more with other families and the women and El Reugio than with us due largely in part to the language barrier and being the ones who set the boundaries. After about a week, we figured out that we needed to get out of the house and start spending time solely with each other. When we were back at El Refugio, as much as it drove us crazy, we also spent a lot of time in the room with each other rather than always being out with the other families. Our daughter, who was a tough one at first, finally realized that she had to try to communicate with us like we were with her. Then, once we had integracion, we decided to leave Bogota and go to Cartegena for a few days so that we could have some real, family bonding time. It was the best decision we made the whole time we were in Colombia. It helped our kids not only to depend on us, it also made them understand that we had rules that they had to follow because there was no one else around for them to run to. If you can do this, I would strongly recommend it and Carmen can help you to make all of the arrangements for any place you pick. st a thought. . . otherwise, hang in there. Time does make things better and the kids will become closer and closer to you. All the changes they are going through as well as the two of you is something you definitely can not prepare for! On another note, the kids look very happy and I know must be thrilled to finally have a forever family. Looking forward to more updates!! God bless~
Traci
Jeff and Jennie.
yours kids are adorable. I just "plump" into your blog, and it is very interesting. We came back from Chile whith our little boy four weeks ago. I speak a bit spanish but I had the same problems as you. And I just vant to give you some wourds. You are doing a good job.
Hugs from Norway.
Sorry about my bad English.
Hey Smith family! What beautiful kids! I'm continuing to pray. I know from having had my own kids that age, AND from working with ALOT of kids that age, it's a hard age to parent/teach, so you are starting off on a tough note to begin with. Yes, it will be hard for them, but I wouldn't worry too much about the attitudes...most kids that age have attitudes! When they accept that they have to follow the rules of their new parents, they will just find other things to have "attitude" about. Comes with the age I'm afraid...especially the girls at that age. Do your best to ignore it, and even smile about it when you can.Just keep telling yourself that it WILL get better with the Lord, prayer, and time. :-) God chose YOU to be their parents...don't ever forget that!
Jeff & Jennie: It is good to get updates from you. I am sure you are busy every waking minute of the day so don't stress over not getting news posted on your blog. Matt and I continue to pray for you. With regard to rules, pick your fights carefully as James Dobson says because they can backfire on you. Set boundaries that you both agree upon and don't let them be crossed even if it makes you feel like a bully. Take time to discuss issues together as husband and wife before making "new" rules or setting boundaries and maybe even ask the kids what they would do if they were the parents. Be sure the rules and boundaries you set are attainable and that Jesus would smile upon! You make a wonderful family of 4! Love you tons!
It's so much fun to see you as a family. We can't wait to meet Andrea and Felipe. When are you coming home?
We know that you are having some rough moments ... God knows it too. So we're spending extra time praying for you. These moments will be good learning experiences for you all ... and it will be so good to experience progress in your relationships as time goes on. You're getting some good suggestions from others who have gone through the same things ... isn't it encouraging to know all of this is "normal"? So enjoy your time and have fun with the kids.
Love you ... and look forward to having you all back with us.
I LOVE the family picture on this post!!! I can't tell you how great you all look together. You guys are SO brave. Keep it up, we love you tons!!!
Crys
Happy Birthday Jeff and Felipe. I pray that you are able to share in some fun celebrations as a family.
What great looking kids! Things will work out. Enjoy your time as a new family.
Post a Comment