Greetings!
I know many of you have been anxiously waiting to hear from us since our big day yesterday. It was a very long day for all four of us.
We left El Refugio at 7 AM with David (Lucia´s son and our interpreter) and Oscar (our attorney) and drove for about 3 hours to Chiquinquirá. We first stopped at the courts where Oscar had us sign some papers. Then we went to the ICBF office and waited...and waited...
There was a bit of confusion with the kids having visited the US last summer combined with our asking that they be told before we arrived about the death of Jeff´s mom. The ICBF people thought we had already met the kids and apparently even the kids were confused. So, we had to wait until that got straightened out to everyone´s satisfaction. Then one of the people left for a while and we had to wait for her to come back. It was probably about 2 hours before we finally met the kids.
Andrea and Juan Felipe were shy but willing to be hugged and greeted by us. We had practiced a few sayings for them, but of course they went right out of my brain when we saw the kids - especially with five or six other people in the room all talking at once!! Oh well. I´m sure we were all four feeling nervous and trying to figure out what to do. We managed though.
After a few more signatures giving us temporary custody of the kids, we headed back to Bogotá. We stopped for a late lunch along the way.
(writing continued on Wednesday morning...)
So lunch was good and then we continued to Bogotá. I think the kids were feeling a bit "shell-shocked" and frankly, so was I. We had dinner and the hotel and just spent time with all the other families until it was time to get ready for bed. It´s a bit challenging to my pride that everyone else can speak easily to my children but I cannot. But we continue on. The first night was hard as they didn´t really want to go to bed, but again, we managed.
Yesterday (Tuesday) we had a fairly good day. They woke up happy and we got ready in turn (uno baño para quatro personas!). We had breakfast at the hotel and played for a while in the yard here. In the late morning we went to the Unicentro (a very big mall near here) to get some clothes (everything we brought them is too big!) and some snacks to have here for them. We had a few missteps - due to language, of course - so next time I think we need to make sure we have someone with us who can help translate (which, again, is very frustrating).
I´m sorry for not posting any photos yet. I can´t use my laptop anywhere else in the building except the same small area where the wireless router is located, so it´s a minor inconvenience. Hopefully, I can find a time to bring my laptop here and put a few photos up - but it will probably be a few days still. :-)
One other thing I want to share is how wonderful Jeff is with the kids! He is so kind and patient with them and they respond to him very well. It´s a joy to watch!
Ok, they are probably all ready for breakfast so I´d better go back up to our room and see what´s up. Thanks again for all your prayers for us. Please keep it up because I´m sure we have many more challenges ahead of us.
Hasta luego!! :-)
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
Congratulations! I am so happy to hear that you are finally together, regardless of the confusion. I vividly remember the feelings that you are experiencing--how everyone can communicate well with your children but you. You will be amazed at how well you can communicate in a short period of time--whether it be through piece-meal words or charades. I will tell you that the ladies at El Refugio were a godsend when it came to getting points across to our kids. We had to go to them (especially Carmen since she also speaks English) and ask them to tell our kids certain things necessary for their safety or to make our expectations clear. As far as your laptop, if you all have a wireless component to it, you can log into Refugio's wireless router from any room in the house with their password. Carmen can help with that, too. Enjoy your time together. Every day presents new challenges but also becomes easier as you learn about the kind of family you will be. Make sure to take them to Crepes and Waffles! It's just a few blocks from El Refugio.
Traci
Oh, it is so good to hear about your first days together! We will continue to pray, of course! After their time in the US last summer, do the kids speak any English?
Congratulations! Traci is right - it will get easier everyday to communicate and once you sort of establish a routine they will know what's coming next and things will move along easier. I think the akwardness of it is difficult tje first few days as you try to figure each other out, what works and what doesn't, how to get things across with the language barrier, etc. It will get more "normal" as each day passes. Enjoy your time and make memories.
Karen
YEA! So glad to know things are going smoothly for the most part! EXCITING!
It was SO good to hear from you again. My heart went out to you as you struggle with the Spanish and want so much to communicate with the kids. Don't be discouraged; it will come. Everyone at small group was wanting to know if anyone had heard more news from you; we prayed for you in a special way. We love getting updates but understand if you can't write; make sure you take time for the important things (like the kids). Miss you both. Look forward to meeting the kids.
Sylvia
Praise the Lord for His mercies! Being introduced by fire into the language "thing" will help you grow quickly. I can just see Jeff with the kids (and you too)! Will continue to pray for smooth transitions. Crepes and Waffles would be good in any country and I am sure the kids will love them.
Naomi - miss you!
We are so glad to get news and to hear "my children" ;o) :o)! We missed you last night at small group and continue to pray for you all. Such a tough, wonderful, exciting, difficult time...it must be very confusing for all of you...but sooo cool! Jeff taking to them is so special, but not surprising! You two are going to make wonderful parents! Have fun! God bless and keep you!
Jay and Iva
Jennie and Jeff - I, too, am glad to hear how things are going. Will pray from here in Latvia also!! May the Lord bless each step you take. Look forward to seeing you all in August. Love and Blessings, Paula
Hi Uncle Jeff and Aunt Jennie! I've been following along with your journey via your blog. Congratulations on finally getting to meet your kids! How exciting! I'll be keeping you in my prayers as you work out these new challenges.
Love,
Tricia (Smith) Grant
Jan from Alaska here. I want you to know we are watching and praying at our home. I am praying for your kids and for your confidence. I hope one day when we are in "out" of Alaska we will be able to meet. Keep going it will get easier you will be amazed at how fast the kids begin to figure you out. Communication is so much more than just words.
Congratulations. Praying for your whole family. I'm very excited for you!
Thinking of your family and praying for the bonding to be filled with blessings galore! The communication greatly enhances with time, as you'll soon see. Wishing you many wonderful memories in the days ahead!
We rejoice with you in the new family God has brought together. Each of you are in our prayers and most especially for the communication challenges. We were so pleased when Sarah made us aware of the blog.
Tom and Diane Silberstein
Post a Comment