Hello dear friends,
First, I want to thank you all for your wonderful comments, encouragement, prayer and support. I'm sure you can tell from my posts that this has not been an easy experience - we knew it would be hard, but not this hard and maybe not this soon.
Second, although I had great intentions of posting more often and sharing lots of fun photos, I simply haven't had the strength or time. So I'll try to catch up a little.
Today the kids are having their first English lesson - 2 hours if they can take it - so we'll see if that helps anything. At the very least, hopefully it will give them a head-start on what they will need to know when we get home.
On Monday, Andrea asked about getting her hair cut. When we said yes, of course she was a happy girl. Just she and I went to the salon (for kids) and she had her hair cut and styled, plus her first manicure. I also had my first manicure - had to come all the way to Colombia for it, apparently!! I think she felt very special and I even got a little kiss on the cheek and a "thank you very much" in English on our way back. :-)
On Tuesday, we went to the Gold Museum and walked around the older part of Bogotá with David (the son of Lucia, who is our contact here in Colombia). The kids enjoyed it for the most part, I think, although it was tiring. I think we will also ask David to take us to another museum he told us about that is some kind of scientific interactive museum (starts with an "M" but I always forget the name). We might do this tomorrow morning and then do another English lesson tomorrow afternoon.
There was much thunder and lightning this morning and it POURED rain and hail most of the day, so we've been inside all day. The kids have done reasonably well - we have let them play games on the computer for part of the time (not constantly) so that has helped, and Andrea likes to play with the other little ones that are here. Felipe likes playing with the Legos they have here, so that helps him to pass some of the time, even with his abounding energy.
So, for now we have a little break and they do too, in a sense. Hopefully, the English lessons will help us begin to communicate a bit more. In the meantime, I might just go grab a nap!! ;-)
Thanks again to you all for your love and support.
Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Hang in there. Our time in Bogota was very challenging as well. Our kids were pretty much out of control when we got them. They were very wild. We reallized they needed some disapline(time outs) and I think even appreciated the boundries after awhile(not at first). I think deep down kids realize that if you disapline and set rules that means you love them because you take the time.
Once we got home and had a routine things got so much better. We have had our 3 kids for 5 months now and they are so amazing these days. They have a heart to please us and we are truly blessed. They have responed so well to correction and learning the rules although I might not have thought that would happen when we were in Colombia!
We will pray for you, things will get better and they will be a huge blessing to you. It just takes a little time and patience.
Betty
jbporter@scicablecom.com
Hey guys! Thanks for the updates. Delighted with all your news! This is just the beginning of a wonderful life-long journey. Enjoy each day...you will learn more about yourselves and each other. Congrats again!
Paul and family (Shirt'n'Tie)
I know you are doing a great job! Its a tough transition regardless of ages and number of kids. The older they are the harder it is. But it will get better. I'm sure the english lessons will help too.
Just remember the kids are testing you, trying to see if you are really going to stay and be there for them. And when they see that you are things will improve.
Hi This is Jan in Alaska. We were so tired during our time in Colombia. Believe it our not Bogota seemed a dream compared to the city our kids were from. It WILL GET EASIER! I am praying for all 4 of you to walk in wisdom and strength. Remember moms who give birth are also very tired and overwhelmed at first! You will look back on these days and see many sweet things happened.
Jan
It will get better with time and a lot of patience. Our boys are still adjusting and we got them in February. Be consistent and have routines as much as possible in place. It is really hard to do so in a "glass house" with everyone watching you interact. Yes, it is the hardest thing you have ever done or so it seems. Keep your chin up and be firm!!
Such great advice from those who've gone before you! We will just keep praying, sorry, no advice! Thank you for taking time to keep us up to date. It helps to pray specifically and 'travel with you'. God bless you with peace, rest and blessed assurance of the good to come.
Jay and Iva
I can't really add anything else that hasn't been said. It is true - it does get easier and it can be really hard for awhile. Hang in there and know that lots of other parents have done it and you can too!!
Karen
xraymom62@yahoo.com
Jeff and Jennie, just know that lots of people are praying for you. God will grant you the strength you both need to love and care for these children. Changing schedules and routines is tiring so it is OK to take naps. Maybe you two can take a turn with the kids for an outing so the other one can have some "down" time...even that will make a big difference. Love you!
Loved the story of Mom/daugher bonding at the salon. I am sure that Andrea felt very loved and special. Each day must feel like up uphill climb but you will reach the summit and better days are ahead. Grace and love, they will see you through. Missing you,
Jerry and Carole
Post a Comment